Barack Obama is the current President of United States who was born in Honolulu, Hawaii on August 4, 1961. Obama’s father belonged to Kenya who received an educational scholarship which enabled him to travel to United States. He got admission in University of Hawaii where he met Stanley Ann Dunham, the mother of Barack Obama. The couple got married in 1961 and after six months of their marriage, Ann gave birth to Barack Obama. However, there was no close relationship or father-son bonding between Obama and his father. His parents officially separated in March 1964, when Obama was just 2 years old.
Afterwards, his mother got married with Lolo Soetoro in 1965 and moved to Indonesia, where his step sister was born named Maya Soetoro. Later on, Barack Obama came back to Hawaii where he spent his early childhood with maternal grandparents. In 1969, Obama completed his graduation with good grades while living with his grandparents. Side by side, Obama also used to play basketball in a academy and he was actually pretty good at it. However, because of being one of the only three black students at school, Barack Obama became race conscious later on. Obama later describe racism as,
“I observed that nobody like me at school and white man were considered superior over black ones. White men reaction towards blacks often makes me wondered that, is something wrong with me”.
In 1981, Obama faced one of the biggest tragedy of his life when his father got into a car accident and lost his legs in result of that mishap. After one year, his father died due to another car accident in Nairobi. That was the time, when Obama gather all his courage to prove himself in front of the world. Obama start his career as a civil right lawyer and teacher. Afterwards, he went into the politics and was elected in 1997 for Illinois State Senate. He performed his services there for almost seven years. In 2007, Barack Obama started his first presidential campaign and after competing against Hillary Clinton in the primary campaign in 2008, he won sufficient delegates to receive the presidential nomination. Obama later defeated Republican party nominee John McCain in general elections and was elected as the president of America on January 20, 2009.
After becoming President, Barack Obama delivered his first State of the Union Speech in 2010. He talked about economical problems, Challenges faced by government, Supreme Court’s system, Education and Chastising Democrats in that Speech. He also focused to made improvement in the life style of American’s citizens and also signed Health Care reform in 2010. Moreover, Obama’s focus towards American Dream is also very prominent.
“A Story of Race and Inheritance” was the book written by Obama in 1995. In this book, he mainly discussed the theme of racism. Toni Morris, a prominent novelist translated his book in different languages including Swedish, Hebrew and Chinese. Obama also received Grammy Award for his outstanding writing in 2006.
Beside his political life, Obama married Michelle Robinson in 1992. The couple welcomed their first daughter in 1998 named Malia Ann. In 2001, Robinson again got pregnant and gives birth to couple’s second daughter Natasha. Overall, Barack Obama is one of most successful and lucky persons on the planet who is leading America towards new heights of success.
Barack Obama Personal Details:
- Complete Name: Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.
- Nicknames: No Drama Obama, Barry, The One, Bama
- Date of Birth: August 04, 1961
- Birthplace: Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.
- Occupation: Lawyer, Politician
- Political Party: Democratic
- Zodiac Sign: Leo
- Height: 6′ 1″ (1.85 m)
- Net worth: $12 Million
President Barack Obama Favorite Color, Music and other Favorite Things:
- Hobbies and Interests: Reading, Writing, Cooking, Playing Basketball, Poker and Scrabble
- Favorite Color: Blue
- Favorite Food: Cobbler, Protein bars, Broccoli, Chili
- Favorite Drink: “Black Forest Berry” Iced Tea
- Favorite Book: The Bible, “Moby-Dick” by Herman Melville, “Song of Solomon” by Toni Morrison, Parting the Waters: America in the King Years by Taylor Branch
- Favorite Music: John Coltrane, Bach, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, The Fugees
- Favorite Songs: “City of Blinding Lights” by U2, “Yes We Can” by will.i.am
- Favorite Movie: Casablanca, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
- Favorite TV Show: The Wire, M*A*S*H, Boardwalk Empire
- Favorite Sports: Basketball, Baseball
- Favorite Basketball Team: Chicago Bulls
- Favorite Baseball Team: Chicago White Sox
- Favorite artist: Pablo Picasso
- Favorite Politician: Luiz Inácio da Silva
- Favorite Pet: Dog
Barack Obama Interesting Facts:
- He is left-handed.
- Barack Obama has read all Harry Potter book.
- As a teenager Obama used to take drugs including cocaine and marijuana.
- On their first date, Barack Obama took Michelle to see the “Do The Right Thing” movie.